Spencer L. Edwards, Shareholder
Spencer is a trial lawyer whose personal injury practice focuses on wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims. He is board certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Personal Injury Law. Spencer earned this recognition after years of aggressively defending products liability, commercial auto, and medical malpractice lawsuits in both federal and state courts throughout Texas.
In addition to his personal injury docket, Spencer maintains an active commercial practice, representing and serving as general counsel for his business clients from pre-suit disputes through trial if needed. Spencer’s accounting and finance background provides him unique insight into the complex damage models generally associated with commercial business disputes, which often serves at a catalyst toward their efficient resolution.
Spencer is originally from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He moved to Texas in 1991 to attend Baylor University where he earned his undergraduate degree in accounting before attending Baylor University School of Law. Spencer remains actively involved in the Baylor Law Alumni Association.
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Baylor University, B.B.A. in Accounting, 1994
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Louisiana
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Spencer obtained a defense verdict on behalf of the designer and seller of motorcycle helmets in a products liability wrongful death case where it was alleged that the decedent’s motorcycle helmet was defectively designed and marketed. Verdict upheld on appeal to the United States Court of Appeals to the Fifth Circuit.
- Spencer obtained multiple defense verdicts on behalf of property owners and managers in premises liability/negligent security cases arising out of the shooting deaths of tenants and/or guest of tenants. Verdicts upheld on appeal and/or not challenged after the entry of judgment.
- Spencer served as lead trial counsel in a multi-state products liability/commercial litigation dispute arising out of the sale of a line of defective plumbing valves, which culminated in a bench trial with more than $28 million as the amount of controversy.
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Martindale Peer Review: AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2015 – 2019
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2012